DEKRA Opens Process Safety Testing Laboratory in ShanghaiDEKRA Opens Process Safety Testing Laboratory in Shanghai
December 2, 2013
DEKRA has opened its first test laboratory for process safety services in Shanghai, China. Chilworth Technology, a DEKRA Company, now provides testing services in China including testing of powders/dusts, liquids, and gases for their flammability and combustibility, thermal stability, and electrostatic properties. These tests provide the necessary data for the assessment of flash fire and explosion hazards associated with the handling and processing of flammable substances.
"Local laboratory resources will not only reduce our customers’ transport and travel costs, but will also help them to save time," said Vahid Ebadat, CEO of Chilworth North America. “We shall initially be offering the tests listed below but anticipate adding more testing capabilities in the not too distant future.”
1. Explosibility Screening (go/no go) for dust clouds
2. Minimum Ignition Energy (MIE) for dust clouds and dust layers
3. Minimum Ignition Temperature, dust Cloud (MIT-cloud)
4. Minimum Ignition Temperature, dust layer (MIT-layer)
5. Layer Burning Rate
6. Minimum Explosible Concentration (MEC)
7. Maximum Explosion Pressure (Pmax) and Rate of Maximum Pressure Rise (dp/dt)max
8. Limiting Oxygen Concentration (LOC)
9. Volume Resistivity (Electrostatic)
10. Liquid Conductivity
“These tests will be conducted according to the applicable ASTM and/or ISO standards with Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s) identical to those used at our laboratories in the US and UK,” Ebadat concluded.
Chilworth has already been offering safety-related services for many years in China for companies who manufacture, process, transport, handle or use flammable and combustible solid and liquid particulates. Chilworth has also provided process safety training courses in many cities in China including Shanghai, Chongqing and Hangzhou. For more information on these services visit www.chilworth.cn
Chilworth Technology supports companies from the various process industries globally, helping them to establish long-term safe processes, specializing in the areas of process safety management (PSM), process safety information (laboratory testing), and specialist consulting (technical/engineering).
Process Safety Management (PSM) Programs
* Design and creation of relevant PSM programs
* Support the implementation, monitoring, and sustainability of PSM programs
* Audit existing PSM programs, comparing with best practices around the world
* Correct and improve deficient programs
Process Safety Information (Laboratory Testing)
* Flammability/combustibility properties of dusts, gases, vapors, mists, and hybrid atmospheres
* Chemical reaction hazards and chemical process optimization (reaction and adiabatic calorimetry RC1, ARC, VSP, Dewar)
* Thermal instability (DSC, DTA, and powder specific tests)
* Energetic materials, explosives, propellants, pyrotechnics to Dot, UN, etc. protocols
* Regulatory testing: REACH, UN, CLP, ADR, OSHA, DoT
* Electrostatic testing for powders, liquids, process equipment, liners, shoes, FIBCs
Specialist Consulting (technical/engineering)
* Dust, gas, and vapor flash fire and explosion hazards
* Electrostatic hazards, problems, and applications
* Reactive chemical, self-heating, and thermal instability hazards
* Hazardous area classification
* Mechanical equipment ignition risk assessment
* Transport & classification of dangerous goods
Chilworth serves clients throughout the agrochemical, chemical, engineering, food processing, government, insurance/legal, metals, oil/gas, pharmaceutical, plastics, rubber, and other industries. Chilworth has offices throughout North America, Europe, and Asia. For more information about Chilworth, visit www.chilworth.com.
DEKRA SE is one of the world’s leading expert organizations. The company currently does business in more than 50 countries. Approximately 28,000 employees are committed to ensuring long-term safety, quality and environmental protection. For more information, visit www.dekra.com.
For related equipment reviews, articles, and news, visit our Explosion Protection & Safety Equipment Zone
Click here for information about International Powder & Bulk Solids Conference & Exhibition
You May Also Like