Worker Dies After Ammonia Leak at Food Processing Plant

Investigation underway following incident

Powder Bulk Solids Staff

December 20, 2022

1 Min Read
One worker died and another was injured after an amonia leak at a food processing plant in Norwood, MA.Image courtesy of Pixabay (representative image)

One worker died and another was injured after an ammonia leak at the Home Market Foods in Norwood, MA Monday. 

Emergency crews and a hazardous materials team were called to the scene shortly after 11 a.m. and found the ammonia leak. According to the Norfolk County District Attorney's office, two workers for an outside HVAC contractor were near the location of the ammonia leak when it happened. 

“There was an accident at our Norwood plant today involving two HVAC contractors," Home Market Foods said in a statement. "As they were working, it appears an ammonia pipe was severed. One of the contractors was able to escape with injuries. Tragically the second contractor did not make it out and he died. Our hearts go out to his family. It is just so sad and horrific.” 

According to its website, Home Market Foods is a major specialty provider of fresh and frozen meatballs, chicken, appetizers, and snacks for both retail and food service customers.

An investigation was underway.

About the Author(s)

Powder Bulk Solids Staff

Established in 1983, Powder & Bulk Solids (PBS) serves industries that process, handle, and package dry particulate matter, including the food, chemical, and pharmaceutical markets.

Sign up for the Powder & Bulk Solids Weekly newsletter.

You May Also Like