Dryer Fire Injures Worker at Composite Decking Plant

Reports said a fire broke out in a piece of industrial drying equipment Tuesday at a TimberTech plant.

John S. Forrester, former Managing Editor

March 3, 2021

1 Min Read
Representative imageImage courtesy of Pixabay

Firefighters worked for several hours to extinguish a fire that started in an industrial dryer Tuesday at the TimberTech composite decking plant in Wilmington, OH, several local news organizations reported. The facility is operated by AZEK Building Materials.

Flames ignited in a dryer used with wood pulp or flours and then spread to nearby beams and pipes through vents connected to the equipment, Wilmington Fire Lt. Rick Birt said in an interview with the Wilmington News Journal.

“The machinery had severe damage and the structure had minor damage,” the fire official told the newspaper.

Coverage by a Cincinnati-based FOX News affiliate stated that the dryer possibly exploded during the incident and that a dust collector was also involved in the blaze. Wilmington Fire Lt. Brandt Schmitt said to the news broadcaster that an investigation has been opened into whether or not an explosion occurred.

Reports said one worker was taken to an area hospital for treatment. Crews were called to the scene at about 6:20 p.m. and cleared the site around midnight, according to the News Journal.

Woodworking Network reported in 2011 that combustible dust fueled a fire at the TimberTech plant in Wilmington caused $350,000 in damage.

About the Author(s)

John S. Forrester

former Managing Editor, Powder & Bulk Solids

John S. Forrester is the former managing editor of Powder & Bulk Solids.

Sign up for the Powder & Bulk Solids Weekly newsletter.

You May Also Like