Sign up for the Powder & Bulk Solids Weekly newsletter.
ICCA's Review Highlights Chemistry Industry's Accomplishments and Challenges
October 8, 2007
2 Min Read
The International Council of Chemical Associations (ICCA) has released its inaugural review of the global chemical industry. A joint effort of the world’s leading chemical industry associations, the review offers a striking portrait of this crucial industry as it strives to safely manage chemicals throughout the value chain and build a sustainable future for its companies and customers across the globe.
ICCA is the world-wide voice of the chemical industry, representing chemical manufacturers and producers. Its members, the industry’s associations from Europe, Asia, Australasia, Africa, and the Americas, account for more than 70% of worldwide chemical manufacturing operations with production exceeding $1.6 trillion annually. ICCA promotes and co-ordinates many voluntary chemical industry programs including Responsible Care, the hallmark voluntary initiative under which companies, through their national associations, continuously improve their health, safety, and environmental performance, and communicate with stakeholders about their products and processes.
“The ICCA review makes it crystal clear that we are building momentum for product stewardship and sustainable chemistry,” said Andrew N. Liveris, Chairman and CEO of The Dow Chemical Co. and President of ICCA. “The world and the industry face major challenges today in areas such as energy, climate change, water and other resource scarcity, and the environment. These issues represent fantastic opportunities for our industry because the world is searching for sustainable, innovative solutions that can only be realized through the advances which our industry is uniquely positioned to deliver.”
Jack N. Gerard, President and CEO of the American Chemistry Council and ICCA Secretary, added, “The ICCA is committed to leading the international discourse on innovation, sustainable chemistry, performance and the responsible management of chemicals. We’ve made changes this year to increase the participation and leadership of company CEOs within our councils to ensure the widest support for ICCA’s programs.”
The 2007 Review highlights ICCA’s accomplishments, including:
• The expansion of Responsible Care to 52 national associations and the promotion of the Responsible Care Global Charter to encourage even broader participation.
• The development and implementation of the Global Product Strategy to increase public and stakeholder awareness and confidence that chemical in commerce are safely managed throughout their lifecycle.
• The further refinement of the long-range research initiative that strengthens the scientific foundation for public policy and commercial decisions through quality research.
• The continued development of high production volume program to provide data and hazard assessments for approximately 100 HPV chemicals representing more than 90% of global chemicals production.
• The Responsible Care Global Charter and the Global Product Strategy enhancing industry’s performance and product stewardship, and making a substantial contribution to the SAICM implementation through risk reduction, information sharing, capacity building, and technical cooperation.
Copies of the Review can be downloaded from the ICCA Web site at www.icca-chem.org
You May Also Like
McCormick Named a Most Sustainable US CompanyFeb 29, 2024|1 Min Read
ConAgra to Divest 52% Stake in Agro Tech FoodsFeb 29, 2024|1 Min Read
Duravant Acquires Ferdinand Henneken GmbHFeb 29, 2024|1 Min Read
Flexicon Introduces Twin Tilt-Down Flexible Screw ConveyorFeb 28, 2024|1 Min Read