A blaze at the Reisdorf Brothers feed mill in North Java, NY last Thursday caused an estimated $2 million in damage, local news organizations reported. The fire was reportedly started by a malfunction in a pellet machine.
Crews from more than 14 area fire departments responded to the feed mill after the fire was called in at about 7:30 a.m., coverage by The Batavia Daily News said. Officials told the newspaper that flames originated in a piece of equipment and then spread to a wall, vent pipes and a feed silo.
The pellet machine involved in the fire is used in the production of animal feed, according to NBC News affiliate WGRZ. Six workers were in the facility when the fire occurred, but no injuries were logged.
Firefighters worked for more than six hours to douse the blaze, the news station said. The fire was deemed accidental in nature.