The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) has issued fines against two companies connected to the Nov. 2015 death of a welder in an explosion at a Volga, SD soybean plant, the Sioux Falls [SD] Argus-Leader reported Friday.
Randy Satter, a 39-year-old welder, died on Nov. 5, 2015 after flammable soap stock vapors exploded in a storage tank Satter was working on. The gas was ignited as workers were installed catwalks above the tank, according to the Argus-Leader.
South Dakota Soybean Processors of Volga faces a $25,510 fine and CCM Welding Repair and Fabrication of Minneota, MN was issued a $11,200 fine.
OSHA’s citations allege that both companies did not monitor the flammability of the gas within the storage tank, and that “they neglected to warn Satter about the dangers of welding on a tank containing a flammable substance,” noted the Argus-Leader article.
The companies have 15 days to appeal the citations.
Get more information or register for the International Powder & Bulk Solids Conference & Exhibition, May 3-5, 2016