The International Society for Pharmaceutical Engineering (ISPE) announced the recipients of its 2013 International Honor Awards at the Society’s Annual Meeting held in Washington, DC November 3-6. Recognizing the awardees’ contributions to ISPE and to the pharmaceutical industry, Nancy S. Berg, president and CEO, presented the honors on behalf of the ISPE Board of Directors.
“As a volunteer organization, ISPE depends on the dedicated work of its Members and the support of their companies to achieve outcomes that make a difference in terms of industry best practices, product quality, and ultimately, patient health,” says Berg. “For that reason, recognizing Members and companies who make contributions that raise the bar for the Society and for the industry is all-important. We are grateful for their work on behalf of ISPE.”
The 2013 award winners:
* Dr. John Berridge was honored with the Joseph X. Phillips Professional Achievement Award, a special award that recognizes an ISPE Member who has made a significant contribution to the pharmaceutical industry, not just ISPE. Named in honor of Joe Phillips, longtime supporter of ISPE and a leader in establishing the Society as an “integrator” of industry and regulators both during his years of service with the FDA and later when he became International Regulatory Affairs Advisor to ISPE, this award is given infrequently to recognize the extraordinary contributions of its recipients.
* Jean-Francois Duliere of Technip France was awarded the Max Seales Yonker Member of the Year Award, which recognizes a Member who has made significant contributions to ISPE in the past 12 months. It is named in honor of a dynamic lady who contributed to the Society in many different ways and served as a source of inspiration during her battle with cancer.
* Stephen Tyler of AbbVie and Winnie Cappucci, retired from Bayer Healthcare, were both honored with the Richard B. Purdy Distinguished Achievement Award, given in recognition of multiple years of dedicated service to ISPE. It is named after one of the Society’s founders and most accomplished Presidents.
* The Drug Shortages Initiative Team was named Committee of the Year. This award recognizes the outstanding work of the Society’s committees, councils, task teams or community of practice steering committees. This committee is chaired by François Sallans, Vice President and Chief Quality Officer, Pharmaceutical, Johnson & Johnson.
* The ISPE Pacific Northwest Chapter and ISPE China were recognized with the Affiliate and Chapter Excellence Award. This award recognizes the outstanding work of one of ISPE’s International Affiliates and Chapters, as reflected by membership development and services, management, industry and society support and innovation.
* Johnson & Johnson was named Company of the Year, an award that honors outstanding support provided by a company as reflected in commitment to the mission of the organization as well as through company employees’ significant active participation in the Society’s committees, councils, task teams, COPs, programs, and activities.
* Gordon Leichter, PhD and John Spohn, CPIP were awarded the Roger F. Sherwood Article of the Year Award for their article, “Automating a Manual Cleaning Program in a Multi-Product Biopharmaceutical Manufacturing Operation,” published in the January/February 2013 issue of Pharmaceutical Engineering Magazine.
To read more about these Society leaders and the awards they received, and to view the complete list of awards presented at the 2013 ISPE Annual Meeting, visit the ISPE International Honor Awards page at www.ISPE.org.
For related news, articles, and equipment reviews, visit our Equipment Zones
Click here for information about International Powder & Bulk Solids Conference & Exhibition