Sign up for the Powder & Bulk Solids Weekly newsletter.
Packaging Powder Ingredients Presents Challenges
May 26, 2016
3 Min Read
Umbra UPS 1000 bagging machine for powder products
With its headquarters in the U.S. and one of its locations in Italy, a leading nutritional ingredients manufacturer contacted Umbra Packaging regarding a special project for packaging powder products. This customer had experienced several critical issues in one of its production facilities, which caused serious problems for that facility. The company identified each of these issues to develop a specification required to bring in a new bagging machine line.
The Italian branch of the company had informed its U.S. colleagues about Umbra’s experience and success in packaging powdered products for human and animal ingredients. Representatives from both the U.S. and Italy visited Umbra Packaging to see its machinery capabilities firsthand for this specialized application. In their meeting with Umbra Packaging, they shared the following list of challenges to overcome:
• The product is very powdery, causing a dusty environment.
• With a certain mixture of gases and an electrical spark, the product can be explosive.
• Product changeovers have caused cross-contamination issues in the plant.
• The newer products are in a new bag format that cannot be run on the old machines, and they still have customers using the existing bag formats, so they need a machine that can run both bag styles.
• The customer requires multiple types of closures with the combination of paper and plastic bags that they need to produce.
Umbra had a solution for each area of the customer’s concerns. Therefore, during the meeting at Umbra Packaging, the proposed machine solution with a special hygienic design, similar to what is used for pharmaceutical products, addressed each of the challenges identified above:
• The machine features a specialized aspiration system to manage the powdery product and contain the dusty environment within the filling chute.
• Most mechanical and electrical parts are in a separate chamber from the handling of the bags and product.
• The machine is completely enclosed in order to help minimize contact with the external environment.
• The machine will be made with the ATEX 22 certification for products that can be explosive under certain atmospheric conditions.
• The filling spout is easily removed and washed to avoid cross contamination of products.
• The machine has the flexibility to handle multiple kinds of bags, mainly paper and plastic.
• The machine has the capability to accommodate different closure techniques: heat sealing for plastic bags and stitching for paper bags.
After the visit at Umbra Packaging and a visit to a local powder ingredient manufacturer using Umbra equipment, the customer was impressed with the technical capability, the reliability, and the overall efficiency of the entire line. The customer concluded that Umbra’s solution was the best available in the market for its application and subsequently chose to work with Umbra on the project.
Key Benefits of the Umbra packaging system include:
• Process reliability
• Machine structure is easy to inspect and clean
• Flexiblity in the bag materials and closures
• No cross contamination
• Minimizes dust
• Hygienic design used for pharmaceutical grade products
For more information on PTI/Umbra North America, Tuckahoe, NY, visit www.ptipacktech.com.
You May Also Like
Martin Engineering Opens New Italian HQFeb 23, 2024|2 Min Read
FDA Expands Cotija Cheese RecallFeb 23, 2024|2 Min Read
Training & Development of Staff Post-Pandemic is More Important Than EverFeb 23, 2024|3 Min Read
Röhm Builds New Plant for PLEXIGLAS Molding CompoundsFeb 23, 2024|2 Min Read