Dust Collector Fire Destroys Cabinet Production Facility

July 25, 2017

1 Min Read
Dust Collector Fire Destroys Cabinet Production Facility
powder_1 copy.jpg

The Idaho State Fire Marshal’s Office announced on July 21 that a commercial building fire and dust explosion at Sonbyrd Industries in Emmett, ID was caused by an accidental mechanical malfunction.

Firefighters responded to the facility, which produces doors and cabinets, on the morning of July 17 finding two employees with serious injuries.

“The fire was caused by a series of events,” Idaho State Fire Marshal Knute Sandahl said in a statement. “Our hearts go out to the injured workers, and we wish them a speedy recovery.”

A saw blade became dislodged from its spindle, causing sparks and pieces of hot metal to enter a dust collection system. Sawdust was then ignited in the equipment’s collection containers.

“Employees noticed the smoke and opened the container, causing a small dust explosion that injured the workers. The resulting fire completely destroyed the building,” a statement by the Fire Marshal’s Office said in a press release posted on the organization’s Facebook page.

The workers were transported to a burn unit in Salt Lake City.

For more articles, news, and equipment reviews, visit our Equipment Zones

Sign up for the Powder & Bulk Solids Weekly newsletter.

You May Also Like