A fire that broke out in a grain bin at an Archer Daniels Midland (ADM) facility in Fremont, NE on Friday may have started after moving parts contacted and sparked material inside the vessel, the Fremont Tribunereported this week.
Firefighters were called to the site at about 5:30 p.m. and arrived on scene to find a grain bin ablaze on the second story of the plant, the newspaper reported. Crews had to take apart vent tubing to access the flames.
Fremont Fire Department Fire Chief Pat Tawney told the Tribune that the fire was possibly started by “a spark from two pieces of metal” that contacted product in the bin.
No injuries were logged in the incident. Tawney said damage to the bin was minimal and that the scene was cleared in under two hours.
Firefighters and a HAZMAT team were called to the ADM BioProducts plant in Decatur, IL on Sunday after an anhydrous ammonia leak occurred at the facility. Reports said the ammonia released did not pose a danger to the public.