Powder & Bulk Solids is part of the Informa Markets Division of Informa PLC

This site is operated by a business or businesses owned by Informa PLC and all copyright resides with them. Informa PLC's registered office is 5 Howick Place, London SW1P 1WG. Registered in England and Wales. Number 8860726.

Endress+Hauser, Hahn-Schickard Form Joint Venture

Image courtesy of Endress+Hauser Biosense_1_ENDRESS.jpg
Food product safety is a field of application for molecular analysis solutions that will be developed by Endress+Hauser BioSense, a joint venture established by Endress+Hauser and Hahn-Schickard.
Endress+Hauser BioSense to develop equipment and methods for fast molecular analyses

Increased safety in food production and other process applications is the aim of Endress+Hauser BioSense GmbH, a joint venture between Endress+Hauser and Hahn-Schickard based in Freiburg, Germany.

Its aim is to enable rapid, on-site molecular analyses for the detection of bacterial or viral contamination in water and beverages, genetic modifications in food or contaminated milk.

Research and development service provider Hahn-Schickard has been working closely with the Department of Microsystems Engineering at the University of Freiburg for many years to develop rapid diagnostic tests that can detect extremely small concentrations of infectious pathogens with portable instruments. This joint venture aims to transfer this technology from the field of medical diagnostics to industrial process and laboratory automation applications.

Innovative Cluster

During the first few months, Endress+Hauser BioSense will operate in spaces located at the university and Hahn-Schickard. Next year the company will move into the university’s innovation center, FRIZ, currently under construction on the campus of the Faculty of Engineering. The start-up will expand Endress+Hauser’s activities in Freiburg, where developers are already working on new sensor technologies, biosensors and Industry 4.0 solutions.

In the development of equipment and methods for molecular analyses for process and laboratory environments, Endress+Hauser BioSense will be working closely with IST Innuscreen GmbH in Berlin, which is also part of the Endress+Hauser Group. IST Innuscreen offers a portfolio of nucleic acid isolation and molecular diagnostics products and supplies kits and assays for PCR diagnostics.

Image courtesy of Endress+HauserBiosense_2_ENDRESS.jpg


The team of the newly established joint venture Endress+Hauser BioSense, from left to right: managing director Dr. Nicholas Krohn, Dr. Stefan Burger, and Dr. Martin Schulz.

Experienced Leadership Team

The joint venture is 75% owned by Endress+Hauser, with the remaining 25% held by Hahn-Schickard. Dr. Nicholas Krohn, who has in-depth knowledge and experience in the field of food analysis, will serve as managing director of the new company. Dr. Stefan Burger and Dr. Martin Schulz, two long-time employees of Hahn-Schickard who obtained their doctorates in the field of molecular diagnostics at the University of Freiburg, will round out the management team.

 

Hide comments
account-default-image

Comments

  • Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
Publish