Powder & Bulk Solids is part of the Informa Markets Division of Informa PLC

This site is operated by a business or businesses owned by Informa PLC and all copyright resides with them. Informa PLC's registered office is 5 Howick Place, London SW1P 1WG. Registered in England and Wales. Number 8860726.

canola-4029105_1920.jpg Image courtesy of Pixabay

DSM-Avril JV Building Canola Protein Production Plant

A joint venture between Royal DSM and Avril Group aims to capitalize on rising demand for plant-based protein with a new joint venture.

Dutch nutrition and health solutions firm Royal DSM and French agro-industrial group Avril Group announced the formation of a new joint venture on Wednesday to partner on the development of new plant-based protein products from canola. In addition to the partnership, the companies also said they will soon begin work on a new manufacturing plant for the JV in Dieppe, France.

The effort was launched in response to increasing global demand for proteins, DSM said in a release announcing the new partnership, combining the Dutch firm’s patented process and technology for extracting protein from canola (rapeseed) with Avril’s substantial experience in oilseed and protein crop production.

DSM holds 75% ownership of the joint venture, Olatein, and Avril holds the remaining 25%. Collaboration between the two firms led to the creation of the CanolaPRO brand plant-based protein product. The protein can be used in beverages, meat and dairy alternatives, baked goods, bars, and ready-to-mix products.

“With the global population continuing to grow and demand for healthy and nutritious proteins on the rise, the world needs more sustainable solutions,” said DSM Food Specialties President Patrick Niels in a statement. “Our partnership with Avril enables the production of CanolaPRO, a high quality and nutritious protein that supports our customers to provide consumers around the world with better tasting, more enjoyable meat and dairy alternatives – in line with the market trends.”

To support the JV, an Avril Group is renovating its Dieppe industrial site to accommodate a new industrial complex. Avril will process non-GMO canola meal for Olatein at a new crushing unit that will be opened in Dieppe. Plans are also underway to add a new biomethane production unit at the site.

"This project, in line with our commitments, offers a new future for the Dieppe site, while repositioning it on a new activity that will bring growth and industrial sustainability," Jean-Philippe Puig, chief executive officer of Avril, said in the release.

Hide comments
account-default-image

Comments

  • Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
Publish