Conference rooms were filled to capacity and more as the revamped 2014 International Powder & Bulk Solids Conference got underway Tuesday at the Donald E. Stephens Convention Center in Rosemont, IL.
A standing-room only throng turned out for the opening Keynote Technology Panel on “Identifying Combustible Dust Hazards and Mitigating Strategies,” that heard five industry experts share their views on the topic: Dr.-Ing. Johannes Lotterman, head of projects and expansion, Rembe Inc.; Gary Q. Johnson, chemical engineer & consultant, Workplace Exposure Solutions; David Grandaw, vice president of sales, IEP Technologies; Bill Stevenson, vice president of engineering, CV Technology; and Vahid Ebadat, Ph.D., chief executive officer, Chilworth North America.
Workshops were offered throughout the day and included the following:
- Understanding the Causes of Powder and Bulk Material Handling Problems, and Practical Solutions to Costly Bulk Solids Flow Problems, both led by Eric Maynard, senior consultant, Jenike & Johanson Inc.
- Predicting Pneumatic Conveying Performance led by Mark Jones, director of TUNRA Bulk Solids Handling Research, professor of engineering & built environment, University of Newcastle.
- Fluid Bed Dryers with Integrated Heat Exchangers, led by Dr. Mathias Trojosky, head of drying technology, Allgaier Group.
- Design & Specification of Pneumatic Conveying Systems, led by David Mills, pneumatic conveying consultant, UK.
- An Industry Panel Discussion on Integrating Processes for Food Production that was moderated by Jones, and featured three panelists: Par Almhem, Modwave; Jeff Chambers, PE, PMP, senior capital project manager & engineering leadership, Rodem; and Ryan Sausser, senior process engineer, Kellogg Co.
- Dust Collection System Maintenance and Troubleshooting, led by Johnson.
- Volumetric and Gravimetric Feeder Design to Ensure Reliable Flow, led by Joe Marinelli, president, Solids handling Technologies Inc.
The education-filled day also included A Standards Compliance session on OSHA’s Combustible Dust NEP Update – Region V’s Perspective, led by Mark Knezovich, M.S., industrial hygienist, OSHA – Region V Enforcement programs, Chicago, as well as two New Technology sessions: Nanotechnology Advancements and Applications, led by Stephen Miranda, sales director North America, grinding & dispersion, Netzsch, and Solving Powder Challenges Using Particle Size and Particle Shape Analysis, led by Ian Treviranus, product line manager, Horiba Instruments Inc.
Marinelli also led a guided expo tour on Innovations in Bulk Storage and Feeding that explored some of the latest innovations on the show floor.