An apparent dust explosion and resulting fire destroyed a grain elevator in Lawson, SK last week, erasing a local landmark that has stood at the site since 1959, the site’s owner told CBC News.
Doug Higginson, the owner the elevator’s operator, Central Butte Feeds, said that a spark in the facility could have led to the dust explosion. He said the firm performed renovations on the facility when it purchased the site four years ago and workers there have performed regular maintenance since.
“We spent a lot of money to make sure it wouldn’t become decrepit and left alone and not fall down,” said Higginson in the CBC report. “It’s so disappointing. It should have lasted another 100 years.”
The fire was apparently ignited on Tuesday and burned into Thursday, the Canadian news organization reported. Eyewitnesses told CBC that smoke and flames were visible at the site during the incident.
One worker was blown back in the explosion and burned, and was later sent to an area hospital for treatment.
“We’re very fortunate that he’s going to make a full recovery, and there weren’t more serious injuries,” Higginson said.